Individually, calcium and magnesium have their own benefits, but taken together can reduce the number of supplements and create added benefits such as increasing the absorption of each of the nutrients. Calcium and magnesium are minerals that are essential to our body functions. Although a well balanced diet can help to meet your daily requirements, sometimes supplements can provide for the needs beyond one's diet.
Calcium is the main mineral in your bones, which hold more than 99% of your body’s calcium stores. Your body is constantly regenerating its bone tissue, so it’s important to consume an adequate amount of this mineral daily. Magnesium plays a key role in converting vitamin D into its active form, which aids in calcium absorption. Magnesium may also help to reduce feelings of anxiety.
According to Mayo Clinic, the recommended daily amount of these minerals is as follows:
|71 and older
|51 and older
Magnesium recommended Daily Amount
- Adult and teenage males—270 to 400 milligrams (mg) per day.
- Adult and teenage females—280 to 300 mg per day.
- Pregnant females—320 mg per day.
- Breast-feeding females—340 to 355 mg per day.
- Children 7 to 10 years of age—170 mg per day.
- Children 4 to 6 years of age—120 mg per day.
- Children birth to 3 years of age—40 to 80 mg per day.