Getting the right nutrients is important at every stage of life, but it’s especially critical during pregnancy, as you’ll need to nourish both yourself and your growing babe. During pregnancy, macronutrient intake needs grow significantly. Macronutrients include carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
There are many micronutrients that are critical for baby development also. Prenatal vitamins are multivitamins that are specially formulated to meet the increased demand for micronutrients during pregnancy. Some of the important vitamins needed during pregnancy include:
- Folate-a B vitamin that plays an integral role in DNA synthesis, red blood cell production, and fetal growth and development.
- Iron - pregnancy increases one's need for iron significantly as maternal blood volume increases by about 45%!
- Magnesium- this mineral is involved in hundreds of chemical reactions in your body. It plays critical roles in immune, muscle, and nerve function. If you have a deficiency of magnesium, this could increase your risk of elevated blood pressure and premature labor.
- Fish Oil- this contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), two essential fatty acids that are important for baby’s brain development.
- Choline - plays a vital role in baby’s brain development and helps to prevent abnormalities of the brain and spine.
Whatever your nutritional need, and especially during your increased nutritional needs of pregnancy, Simply Nutrients is here to help!